Thursday, May 27, 2010

Learning how to conterfeit....

So I've been slacking a little on this bike build, but in my defense I've had other things (like broken down cars) to take care of...and I figured that since I got injured after a (literal) 'run-in' with the first baseman during my softball game last night, I'd spend some time reproducing the decals that are found on the bike.
Unfortunately, I was unable to locate any similar decals online ANYWHERE, and so I had to resort to making my own. I've never done this so we'll see how it turns out.
You can purchase printable onable waterslide decal paper at any print shop (so I am told...) though I was unable to find any locally, so instead I purchased Applique paper (I have no clue what this is, seems like a giant paper sized sheet of scotch tape stuff that you can print on) at the local arts/craft store. Next it was time to start recreating the decals...I've only started, but here's what I have so far:


This is one of the (many) damaged decals that requires replacing. I've taken a picture of it, and am using Adobe Illustrator to recreate a decal that is as similar to this as possible (given that I don't have ALL the details since this decal is partially scratched off...). Since the bike will be painted black, I have modified the original decal slightly to achieve a more contrasting effect, and to avoid any black-on-black.

So I've been slacking a little bit with this but here is the 'Made in England' decal (original and re-created):


The font is close enough for me. And the scale is pretty good too, though that is relatively easy to play with when printing.

I still have the B.S.A logo, the chain guard decal, and the 'New Hudson' lettering, but that shouldn't be too hard:

^ B.S.A Logo ^


^ Chain guard emblems ^


^ 'New Hudson' text ^

Oh yeah...I also have to do something about the head badge (which was non existant...). It will probably be similar to the 'arm & hammer' logo I've made already. I'll post the finished decals here when I finish them.


1 comment: