Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dismemberment

I finally got around to dis-assembling the bike today. The general idea will be to take everything apart, let it sit in degreasing solution for a while, clean it up/replace necessary components, and replace. The frame will be stripped of paint using paint stripper, prepared, primed and painted (colour TBD). Not sure how I'm going to deal with the decals yet. The markings on the bicycle indicate that it is a New Hudson, which I've learned was a division of B.S.A which became owned by Raleigh in 1957 and markings on the Sturmey Archer hub indicate that it is from 1962. I've had serious difficulty finding anything relating to New Hudson 3-speeds online; most of the information deals with mopeds and motorcycles from the early 20th century. If anyone finds any useful information (ie: catalogues, original paint colour variants, trim colours, decals, etc) please let me know.


The rims will need a thorough cleaning, or may have to be replaced...

All the bicycle parts have been boxed up and ready to be taken downstairs to my workshop for cleaning, painting, and general refurbishment...

It appears as though the fenders were originally white, and someone painted over them at some point with black Tremclad (or similar)...

Also, if anyone knows where I can get the decals below I'd really appreciate it :)



The retro looking chain guard resembles those found on Skidstar or Speedwell bikes, but has "New Hudson" embossed, or it's a decal; I'll find out more when I strip the layers of paint. I'm not sure how the lettering on this chain guard is supposed to look, so if anyone finds any pictures I'd really appreciate them showing me.


I'll post more pictures of the individual components as I start taking them apart and cleaning them.

No comments:

Post a Comment